Continuously using a computer or any other device with a screen has a downside. Studies have shown that blue-ish light emitted by the most computer screen and other displays can cause tired eyes to struggle at night, or affect your circadian rhythms and make it harder to fall asleep. Night shift mode helps users to get a better night’s sleep by filtering blue wavelengths from the screen or display.
There is no need to ‘Download or Install’ a separate app for night shift in your Mac. It is the feature of macOS that already comes in your Mac. It uses your Mac’s clock and your geographic location to determine whether it is day or night at your place. Then it uses this information to change the color temperature of your screen. During daytime it turns colder and warmer in the evening.
Night Shift can be turned Off and On manually, and you can also set a schedule for a specific time.
How to enable and disable Night Shift mode on your Mac
- Go to ‘Apple Menu.’
- Open ‘System Preferences.’
- Click on ‘Display’ icon.
- Click on the ‘Night Shift tab.’
- Click on ‘Schedule’ menu.
- Choose ‘Sunset to Sunrise’ to turn on and off night shift automatically at night, according to your location, choose ‘Custom’ to set night shift schedule time according to you and Choose ‘Off’ to disable night shift mode.
Disable Night Shift Mode from the Notification Center
There is another easy way to enable and disable night shift on your Mac. You can also use ‘Notification Center’ to turn on and off the night shift.
- Click on the ‘Notification Center’ or ‘Three horizontal line’ icon at the top-right corner of your Mac’s screen.
- At the top of the Window, there are two options, Today or Notifications, in either Today view or in notifications.
- Click on sliding switch of Night Shift to turn it on and off. It is near the ‘Do not disturb’ button.
Disable Night Shift Mode by asking Siri
The easiest method of all to turn on and off Night Shift- ask Siri
- Click on the ‘Siri’ button in the menu bar.
- Say “Turn on Night Shift” to enable night shift.
- To switch off: Again activate ‘Siri.’
- And say “Turn off Night Shift” to disable night shift.