Bing is the default search provider of Microsoft Edge browser. When you search anything on Edge browser, it will search through Bing. Bing also powers many services like Cortana, Siri, and Yahoo. But you are also able to change the default search engine of your Edge browser if you want.
Follow the steps to change search provider in Microsoft Edge:
- Press the ‘Windows’ key of your keyboard or click the ‘Start’ button to open the start menu.
- Now, click on the search box and type ‘Edge’ into it.
- Press ‘Enter’ to start the search.
- Click on the ‘Microsoft Edge’ with a big white “e” written on blue background icon at the top of the result to open it.
- Visit the ‘Search Engine’ home page to add it to the list. For instance, if you want to use Google then type “google.com” into the search box of the Edge browser.
- Now, click on the ‘Three dots’ icon at the upper-right corner of the browser window.
- Click on ‘Settings’ from the dropdown menu to open basic browser settings. It is at the bottom of the menu.
- Scroll down into the Settings panel, click on ‘View advanced settings’ under Advanced settings.
- Scroll down into the Advanced settings panel to ‘Search in the address bar with’ heading.
- And click on ‘Change search engine’ under the “search in the address bar with” heading to change the search provider.
How to add search engine into the list?
- Click on the ‘little down arrow’ at the right of the drop-down box.
- Click on ‘Add new’ to see the compatible search provider list.
- Select and click ‘Add’ button.
Only the search engine supports OpenSearch standard can be used as search provider Edge detects it automatically when you visit the homepage of a search provider and add it into the compatible search providers list.
Click and select the search provider from the list of the available search engine (such as Google, Bing, etc.).
Now, click the ‘Set as default’ button at the bottom to set the selected search engine as default.
After changing the service provider, your Edge browser will use the search engine that you’ve selected for browsing.