Are you facing some errors with Windows Update? Windows Update Install Error 0x80070020 would probably be one of them. You must have noticed that this error doesn’t allow the Windows Update service to initiate while other halts the process when the update in the running.
Windows Update Install Error 0x80070020
The cause behind this error is the installed programs that are interfering with the Windows Update process. Or else, it could e Third-party AntiVirus program, or a PUP, or a Malware that is causing this error on your device. Thus, there is no certain reason behind getting Error 0x80070020, but there are several things you can perform to resolve this error. To do so, follow the solutions that are mentioned below:
Guide to Fix Windows Update Install Error 0x80070020
Method 1: Clear Contents of Software Distribution & Catroot2 Folders
The method to clear the contents of the SoftwareDistribution folder is as follows:
- First of all, you need to search for Command Prompt in the Windows search panel and right-click on the option.
- Then select the “Run as administrator” option.
- After that, you need to type the following commands:
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop bits
- And press Enter after typing each of them to execute them.
- The first command will stop the Windows Update Service and the second command will also prevent the Background Intelligence Transfer Service.
- After this, launch the File Explorer and then browse to the “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution” command.
- Here C: is the system drive.
- Then you have to select all of the files in the Software Distribution folder.
- And press the Delete button after selecting them all.
- Note: In case, if it fails to delete all files, you should then restart the system and try again.
- Here, you need to reopen an elevated Command Prompt as explained earlier. Type the following commands:
- net start wuauserv
- net start bits
- And then, hit Enter after typing each command to execute them.
- Doing so will restart the Windows Update Service and Background Intelligence Transfer Service which we blocked previously.
- And then, you need to reset the catroot2 folder.
- As soon as you do this, try and see if it works for you.
Method 2: Use the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Sometimes, the Windows Update troubleshooter could be useful for users in resolving the Windows Update issues.
This Troubleshooter clears the Windows Update related temporary files, removes the contents of the Software Distribution folder, resets and fixes Windows Update components, ensures the status of Windows Update-related Services, and most importantly checks for pending updates and many more.
Here’s the process for running the Windows Update Troubleshooter:
- Tap on the Start button.
- Tap on the gear-like symbol to open the Settings page.
- Tap on the Updates and Security option.
- After that, go to the Troubleshoot tab.
- Here, you need to select the Windows Update Troubleshooter and simply tap to run it.
- Restart your system and see if the error persists.
Note: Microsoft’s online troubleshooter for Windows updates can also be used to fix this error.
Thank you for reading this article! We hope the information as mentioned above is going to be useful to you.